Miller Center Student Study Room Policy
To provide usage guidelines for student study rooms in the James W. Miller Learning Resources Center. Student study rooms are intended to serve student needs. Student study rooms are not intended to replace classrooms. Students may use the rooms for individual or group study.
Sixteen student study rooms are available. Rooms vary in size with seating capacity ranging from 6 - 12. All rooms are furnished with conference tables and chairs.
The following is a list of features and equipment that are available in each study room:
- Network connection
- Computer (each room has a Windows compatible computer)
- Large screen monitor serves as computer and video/television monitor.
- DVD/CD player
- White board
- Cable television (Charter)
Note: Community or university groups seeking meeting space should contact Atwood Memorial Center (308-4636) or the LRS Dean’s Office (308-2086).
- Students will need a valid SCSU ID Card to check out a study room.
- Standard checkout will be for 2 hours. If there is no request or reservation for the room after 2 hours, the student may renew the checkout at the Circulation Desk.
- The student checking out the study room is responsible for any damages. Replacement fees will be assessed for any damaged equipment. Cases of deliberate vandalism or abuse will result in loss of checkout privileges and may be prosecuted.
- Conduct in this room must be appropriate to a library setting and in accordance with LRS policies.
- The security of personal belongings left in the study room is the student’s responsibility.
- Condition of room and equipment will be checked regularly.
- Rooms must be vacated 15 minutes prior to library closing.
- LRS Food and Drink, and Code of Behavior Policies apply to study rooms.
- Students will use these rooms solely for SCSU-related activities. Students may not reserve the rooms for use by commercial entities or other groups not affiliated with SCSU.
- Study room keys are picked up at the Circulation Desk at the time of checkout.
- Keys must be returned to the Circulation Desk immediately at the end of the checkout period.
- Study room doors are permanently locked. Close door and take key whenever leaving room.
- Wireless keyboards, and other room accessories, may be checked out upon request and must be returned to the Circulation Desk.
- Please follow the procedures posted in the room if there are problems with the equipment.
- Library staff will attempt to assign students to appropriate rooms, based upon the size and needs of the group
- Reservations can be made in person at the Circulation Desk or over the phone by calling 308-3083 up to a week in advance or on a first come, first served basis.
- No regularly scheduled reservations.
- Reservations will be for a 2-hour period.
- Reservations will be held for 15 minutes from the scheduled time. After that time, the reservation will be cancelled and the room will be made available to other students.
- A study room may be reserved for only one 2-hour period per day per person. If there is no request or reservation for the room after 2 hours, the student may renew the checkout at the Circulation Desk.
Approved by LRS Dean’s Advisory Council: April 11, 2012
Last reviewed by PPC: March 29, 2012
Last revised by PPC: March 29, 2012