St. Cloud State names, 1869-present
In 1858, Minnesota's first state legislature authorized that three "normal" schools be established in the state within the next 15 years. The purpose of these "normal" schools was to "educate and prepare teachers for teaching in the Common Schools of this State..." The first normal school opened its doors in Winona in 1860 (but closed shortly after that due to the Civil War, reopening in 1864), the second opened in Mankato in 1868, and the third in St. Cloud in 1869.
St. Cloud State has changed its name since its opened its doors in September 1869. Click on the name to read the law passed by the Minnesota State Legislature authorizing the change. The PDFs were downloaded from the Minnesota state legislature website.
9/1869-1873: Third State Normal School
1873-1921: State Normal School at St. Cloud
1921-1957: St. Cloud State Teachers College
1957-7/1975: St. Cloud State College
8/1975-present: St. Cloud State University