University Archives and Special Collections
Digital Exhibits and Historical Compilations
Over time, the University Archives will present digital exhibits to highlight the history of St. Cloud State. That history is rich, chronicling the time as a school to train teachers to becoming a large state university with a diverse student body.
- Who Was Here? Well-Known Visitors at St. Cloud State
Since its founding in 1869, St. Cloud State University has hosted well-known entertainers, celebrities, politicians, athletes, radio, film, and television actors and actresses, and music groups. These include comedian Bob Hope, rock musician Elton John, basketball's Harlem Globetrotters, and US President Dwight D. Eisenhower. All information and images are from University Archives.
- Art and Art Curriculum at St. Cloud State
Based on a 2012 master thesis written by Krista Lewis, a former student assistant in University Archives, the exhibit chronicles the role of art at St. Cloud State since 1869. The exhibit features images and information from University Archives.
- A Changing View of SCSU
The physical campus of St. Cloud State has changed greatly since its establishment in 1869. Growth after World War II, especially with the influx of "baby boomers," transformed the campus footprint. Created by St. Cloud State public history graduate student Marissa Bialek, the exhibit incorporates research conducted at the University Archives and the Miller Center library to tell the story of the changing view of SCSU. (PDF, 13.3 MB)
- St. Cloud State University: Libraries of the Past and Present
An exhibit on the five St. Cloud State buildings that have served as St. Cloud State's library, including Old Main, Old Model School Building, Kiehle, Centennial, and Miller Center.
- Hail to the Chief! Presidents of St. Cloud State University, 1869-2010
An easy guide to the men and women who have served St. Cloud State over the past 140 years.
- St. Cloud State University Buildings
Includes the digital exhibit entitled St. Cloud State University: The Faces Behind the Places, which highlights named campus buildings. Other pieces include aerial photographs and individual profiles of campus buildings.
University Communications has created several slideshows using images from Archives.
- Gallery of University Presidents
A slideshow featuring portraits of all past St. Cloud State presidents.
- St. Cloud State University: Photos Through the Years
A slideshow featuring aerial and campus shots of the St. Cloud State campus from the past 140 years.
- Remembering Robert Bess
A slideshow remebering and honoring St. Cloud State interim president Robert Bess, who served from 1992 to 1995.
The University Archives will periodically post historical compilations, as well as historic documents, on St. Cloud State events, people, and buildings.
- St. Cloud State University Seals
Learn more about the official St. Cloud State seals! What seal was used when? What was the symbolism of each seal?
- St. Cloud State Structure
What were the names of St. Cloud State when? Who has held senior managment positions? What were the the names of St. Cloud State's school/colleges, who lead them and when, and what departments were in each school/college from the fall of 1962 to June 2011? What were the academic divisions from 1940 to 1962?
- SCSU History Quizzes
Test your knowledge with 10 separate quizzes about the history of St. Cloud State University.
- Historic Timelines
The timelines focus on people, events, and buildings, anything that caught our eye as interesting. Some of the highlights are serious, some silly, and some surprising. The timelines will be updated periodically.
- Transcript Index, 1870s-1930s
An index containing nearly 20,000 names of St. Cloud State students who appeared in 15 volumes of academic transcripts, dating from the 1870s to the 1930s.
- Graduates, 1871-2011
Using commencement programs, course catalogs, and other sources in University Archives, this document lists graduates by academic year, term (fall, winter spring, summer), school or college, type of degree (i.e. Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, etc.), and number of degrees awarded for that year or term. Through May 2011, 128,984 degrees were awarded.
- Campus social fraternities and sororities, 1950-2006
Using a variety of sources, a list of the social fraternities and sororities that have been on campus since 1950.
- Chronicle Index, 1924-1996
The index covers the time period between 1924 and 1996. The index seems fairly complete, especially early on, and is taken from Chronicle headlines. The document was created from 30+ handwritten paper tablets which were entered into a Word Document by students in Archives. A PDF was created for easier use.
- Alumni Directories from 1908, 1940, 1992, and 1998
The directories are an excellent resource to use for research in the lives of early St. Cloud State graduates, as well as though that graduated just 15 years ago.
- The Annual Normalia: An Early Look at St. Cloud State
Curious to see what life was like at St. Cloud State in the early 20th century? Check out two volumes of the annual issue of The Normalia for academic years 1902/03 and 1903/04.
- The Talahi: Yearbook of St. Cloud State
The most popular name of the yearbook, which was printed from 1923 to 1998, the Talahi provides a peak into campus happenings from the student perspective for 75 years.
- History of St. Cloud State Teachers College (1954), by Dudley Brainard. Written by long-time faculty member and former president, Dudley Brainard, this history was an update of his 1944 history created for the 75th anniversary of the establishment of St. Cloud State.
- A Centennial History of St. Cloud State College (1968), by Edwin Cates. Authored by History faculty member Edwin Cates, this volume was written to commemorate St. Cloud State's 100th anniversary.
- Small Bytes Interview (September 2008) (16.9 MB, 25 minutes in length)
Tom Steman discussed the challenges faced the University Archives, as well as contributions to the upcoming presidential inauguration, with the Small Bytes staff at St. Cloud State.
- Small Bytes Interview (February 2010) (18.8 MB, 20 minutes in length)
Tom Steman and Marian Rengel, Minnesota Digital Library outreach coordinator, discussed the digitization and publishing of 262 letters of world-famous author Sinclair Lewis to his mistress Marcella Powers on Minnesota Reflections, with the Small Bytes staff at St. Cloud State.
- KVSC's Untold Stories of Central Minnesota: University Archives (February 2013)
Tom Steman discussed KVSC's Jeff Carmack about the new timeline chronicling university events, famous visitors exhibit, origins of St. Cloud State, and hockey.