Hail to the Chief! Presidents of St. Cloud State University, 1869-2010
George Budd, President, 1952-1965
- Educated at Buffalo Teachers College and Columbia University, worked as a teacher in New York state and director of guidance at Cortland State Teachers College in Cortland, New York, as well as coordinator of field services at Oneota State Teachers College in Oneonta, New York
- Thanks to the GI Bill after World War II, witnessed a 500% increase in enrollment from 1952 to 1965
- During his tenure, oversaw a major expansion of campus, including Kiehle Library (1952), Whitney House (1956), Mitchell Hall (1958), Brown Hall (1960), Thomas J. Gray Campus Laboratory School (1958), Hill Hall (1962), Headley Hall (1963), Garvey Commons (1963), and Case Hall (1964)
- Graduate program formalized in 1953, offering master's degree in education and later expanded to include other disciplines, such as Master of Business Administration
- In 1957, the name of the school changed from St. Cloud State Teachers College to St. Cloud State College
Download image here.