Hail to the Chief! Presidents of St. Cloud State University, 1869-2014
Joseph Brown, President, 1916-1927
- Before coming to St. Cloud State in 1916, worked in education in Indiana and Illinois, including as a high school teacher and superintendent of schools, as well as a stint in the mathematics department at University of Illinois
- In 1901, received an undergraduate degree from Hanover College in Hanover, Indiana
- The Chronicle newspaper and Talahi yearbook were established during his tenure as president.
- In 1921, the name of the school changed from the State Normal School at St. Cloud to St. Cloud State Teachers College
- The J. C. Brown Athletic Field (1927) and J. C. Brown Science and Mathematics Building (1960) were named in his honor