Library in the Miller Center

Hours today: 7:30 am - 7:00 pm

View Hours

University Archives and Special Collections News

University Archives News

Six films highlighting early St. Cloud State history digitized and made available

Monday, September 23, 2013

Six silent films, containing black/while and color footage, have been digitized and now available for viewing.  Thanks to the Minnesota Digital Library, who paid for the films to be digitized, the films can be access on their web portal Minnesota Reflections.

Highlights include color footage of the freshmen camp at Lake Koronis in the mid-1950s, homecoming parades in downtown St. Cloud in the mid-1950s, the aftermath of the razing of the Old Main building (which stood behind Stewart Hall) in 1950, brief glimpses of football, track and field competition, and hockey, and US presidential candidate Dwight D. Eisenhower crowning the 1952 St. Cloud State homecoming queen on the steps of the Stearns County Courthouse on October 4, 1952 during a campaign stop.

Click on the links to view the film.  For the longer film, see the description for time markers for specific items – and give it a few moments to load, too.

Freshman camp at Lake Koronis in Paynesville, MN, 1955 (2 minutes, 58 seconds)

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/stc/id/7568

Homecoming parade, 1953 (2 minutes, 51 seconds)

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/stc/id/7567

Marching band performs at football game, 1950s (4 minutes, 6 seconds)

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/stc/id/7570

Freshman camp at Lake Koronis in Paynesville, MN, 1952; Homecoming parade, 1952; Dwight D. Eisenhower crowns homecoming queen (15 minutes, 16 seconds)

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/stc/id/7571

Student campus activities, late 1930s to early 1940s (19 minutes, 39 seconds)

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/stc/id/7572

Demolition of Old Main building, 1950 (3 minutes, 54 seconds) – this is a great video and a shame that building was knocked down.  It stood behind Stewart Hall and was originally built in 1874.

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm/ref/collection/stc/id/7569

Archive

Back to Archives Home

Untitled Document